At Merlin Publishers we publish about 40 books per year. Because we are a small team of five, each and every title for us is a labour of love love
We are very excited to assist you with bringing the best Maltese authors and illustrators to your school. Below is a step-by-step guide to planning your next event. Please feel free to get in touch with Daniela, our Author Visit Coordinator, on [email protected] for help with organising school visits
How to get an author to visit your school
- It’s easy! Send an inquiry email to our Author Visit Coordinator at [email protected] with your contact information as well as the details of your event and which author(s) you are interested in hosting.
- Confirm the time and date of the event so Merlin Publishers can put you in touch directly with the author. Discuss with the author, the presentation and the format of the event and confirm a final plan of the activity.
- Make an order for the books (see below).
Before the event
- Read and discuss the author’s book(s) with the students prior to the author’s arrival.
- Have the students learn what they can about the author before the visit as well as prepare some questions if the author includes a Q&A in their presentation.
On the day of the Event
- organise a school representative to welcome the authors when they arrive at school, and then to the venue of the book event and to help them after with the book signing.
- make available a table and chair, and water for the author
- ensure that there will be no other activity being held close to the venue where the author visit will be taking place so there is no noise hindrance.
- ensure that the author has access to a PA system.
- have an overhead projector and a laptop ready for the author’s presentation.
- ensure that there is help at hand if the author/ illustrator is planning on organising an activity for the children after the reading.
- Merlin Publishers may set up a stand and sell the author’s books on the day of the visit.
- We encourage you to order books in advance for your event, so the children will have the book in hand during the reading and can get it signed by the author after.
- You can order directly from Merlin Publishers at a discount.
- All children should be informed in advance to bring money for any book purchases they might want to make on the day.
- Books sold after the date of the visit might not be signed by the author.
- Best wishes for a successful event!